Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Scouting in Haiti



I was in Haiti last week to see my daughter who is a UN photographer living on the island. There still is a great deal of suffering in Port-au-Prince, where the devestation is real and sometimes surreal. But when we left the city for the hinterlands, I found a different Haiti, one that was chock full of smiling, kind and hard working people. Up country I tried to give five Rock N Row hats away until I learned that Haitians don't wear baseball hats. Ever. Covering the head like that is a submission to the Vodou spirit. It isn't allowed.

In this second photo I'm on a beach, failing at my first hat give-away effort. But even here all was not lost. Turns out this boy's uncle owned the two cobalt blue fishing boats in the village. We rowed them out past the reefs to catch small tuna with nets. The boat weighed a lot more than an Echo. Still, it was as singularly joyful and fun. Anyone for a late winter adventure row up the southern Haitian coast?

1 comment:

  1. Incredible adventure for any Pirate. I do hope your daughter is doing well

    ReplyDelete