Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Final Sunrise row for me this year


Sunrise is getting later.  Work is getting busier and so are travel requirements. So this was my last early morning venture this year. 

And what a beautiful morning it was -- amazing pink clouds streaking across the far side of the harbor, calm and clear with a slight chill. Absolute perfection.

Hilary, Bobbie and I started out in gentle swells and no chop so we decided to go around Marblehead Rock and Childrens.  Bit of wind outside the Rock and crisscrossing chop between the Rock and Childrens then rowing straight into the wind on the back side of Childrens.  Light hands on the oars and smooth strokes -- felt wonderful! 

Half way back to Little Harbor on a West heading there was a clear line between the light breeze and the flat water.  Sun was up, boats were few, and I had to stop and soak in the realization that it was too perfect to let go so quickly.  Just sat there for a few minutes and gave thanks to the sea, the boat, and the friends.

Now the Setup to a Lesson....Somewhere in the back of my mind, I realized that I had gone the entire season without putting my oars in backwards.  This morning, as I launched the shell for my last row of the season, I had to pull the boat back onto the dock and switch my oars to the correct sides. 

Later, as I was coming around the end of Childrens, I realized that for the first time in the whole season, I had not threaten any mooring, boat, harbor buoy, rock or island with collision during the entire circuit.  Those who row with me know -- this was quite a feat -- and it was done without a plan on my part.  I first noticed my good luck by missing the Nun by a wide margin and then it just continued from there. 

The lesson I draw from this is -- don't focus too hard on perfection and be sure to make your mistakes early on, the universe will reward you for your humanity.


1 comment:

  1. The water will be missing your company till she greets you with open arms next season.

    ReplyDelete