Thursday, June 13, 2013

First Seal sighting of the season

I've been on the lookout for seals for about a week.  It's fun to think about something different out there at times and it adds a bit of a challenge -- It's often hard to distinguish a seal's head from one of the slimy buoys of the abandoned lobster pots (but they do behave a bit differently). 

I wasn't really watching for them this morning because the row was taking all my concentration fighting the SE wind that was blowing me sideways as we headed back from the Beverly green channel marker.  As a result of the wind, I was closer than usual to one of the islands -- specifically Coney Island -- so I was particularly focused on my leg pushes and not on the scenery.  As I was just past the island's south end I noticed a black buoy just off my stern and I thought -- odd, I didn't remember running over that.  Then suddenly the buoy turned and looked me straight in the eye and sniffed in my direction.  It was a good sized adult seal head -- very sleek.  As I was still rowing a strong stroke, I left the seal behind quickly but luckily Eileen was rowing near by and when I called out, she saw it, also. 

In years past, the seals have tended to be around the islands toward Beverly and around the ledge on the way to Tinkers.  So happy scouting as you row.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's so cool, Pal! What an added bonus to your sunrise row that day. :-) Sheila Reilly

    ReplyDelete