Wednesday, July 14, 2010

PERSONAL BLACKBURN REFLECTIONS

Seven members of the club have trained physically, emotionally and spiritual over these passed weeks and months to challenge the Blackburn this weekend, a 20+ mile (mostly open water) race around Gloucester's Cape Ann. Their pent up energy and anxiety that faces each one of them during the last week countdown is not lost on those who have rowed the race before.

The Blackburn Challenge is an integral part of our young club's history which I was reminded of yesterday during my oncologist check up. Knowing I was going to face surgery for my prostate cancer, I made a personal decision to row this event. I still remember calling Paulie the night before my operation who though thought the idea crazy at first, quickly changed his mind and agreed it was a worthy goal for both of us.

I was a zealot to the cause. My Doctor could not believe how quickly I was recovering. I was his "poster child" for the De Vinci Robot (a innovative surgery process at the time).

Paul and I rowed almost everyother day that summer in preparation. Probably logged over 250 miles before the event. We received henna tattoos on our forearms ; mine was a turtle, Paul's was crossbones with the word blackburn (future vision of our club logo?). They would flexed and stretch with each rowing stroke. Kathie, Paul's wife acting as our spiritual leader guided us in a ceremony of blessings and good fortune. I still remember the morning of the event. Over 200 boats from all over the country were there ready to make this happen. The energy surrounding us was electric. Conversation about a rowing club though distance began to germinate as an idea in our minds. This stuff is so cool. Why are there not more people rowing in Marblehead?

That was over five years ago. My Doctor told me that yesterday. How you feeling Jack? Are you still planning to row the Blackburn this year? He still remembered what it meant to my recovery.

The only answer I could give him is yes. In spirit, I'm still there with all the pent up energy being felt by our seven members.

Good Luck Peaceful Warriors. May the winds be gentle, the ocean sparkle and your spirits high!

No comments:

Post a Comment