Thursday, December 3, 2009

Reply From Maryellen

Hi Jay,
Great to hear from you and learn about your off-season program. I admire your discipline!
As for me, I seem to be challenged by the transition from on-the-water to in the gym. It's a process for me! Actually, I'm still on-the-water -- confident and comfortable in my Echo. I took a LOVELY 4 mile row this morning out of Little Harbor, crossing the mouth of Mhead Harbor and hugged the coastline along the neck and back around Brown's Island to the beach. The weekend before Thanksgiving, I rowed with a friend in Hingham Harbor and enjoyed the Northeast Youth Open Water Championships off Hull! Watching the teamwork and joy of the kids was fantastic!
With indoor storage, hose and my beach launch, I'm all set to take advantage of rowing on calm days like today! I enter the boat dry (wearing knee-high neoprene boots) and layer-up. There are a number of Maine and south shore folks who are rowing year round. My last day out in 08 was Dec. 26th, this year it all depends on the weather. There are 2 IROW events coming up I'm hoping to participate in: the Jingle Row on the Charles (Dec. 12) and the Snow Row off Hull on March 6. Folks can join the IROW blog for updates on monthly group rows typically off the southern coast of Maine. For more info: check out: http://www.irow.org/
I have also gotten myself back to the Y. My intention is to return to 3-4 days of elliptical, my weight training circuit plus 3 yoga classes a week. Yoga has improved my comfort level rowing longer distances and agility considerably! May your discipline rub off on me!
Happy Holidays everyone!
Maryellen

1 comment:

  1. I've got to tell you Maryellen, you are one impressive women. Can't begin to say how jealous I am that you're still on the water. Way to go but remember BE CAREFUL OUT THERE

    ReplyDelete