Sunday, June 13, 2010

A WITTL BIT O FOG!

Sunday morning on the water, a bit grey and a bit cold.
On the dock Chaz says, "Gonna be flat water today, weather underground says winds under 6 mph!" I chuckled as we headed out to Children's planning an open water loop around Bakers. Swells were 1 1/2 to 2 feet with a brisk 10kts of breeze. Climbing and falling off some pretty good swells.
Being exposed seemed questionable so we headed towards Beverly via Eagle Bar.
The group, Viking, Eileen, Chaz, Seth and me self stretched out. As we rounded nun 6 it was clear we'd be navigating our way back, the coast had just plain disappeared! Gone! There a minute ago, gone now.
We headed off, still somewhat spread out, on a heading of 270 (our standard heading home 270). After a few minutes I sensed we might be heading in towards Salem Harbor. Checked the GPS and sure enough we were much further in towards Salem than I previously thought. An adjustment, another 20 min and the rocks of Fluen Point showed themselves. All's well.
A couple of thoughts....
Good thing I had the GPS! Had I not, we likely would have rowed into Salem or Beverly thinking we were headed into M'head. Then had to grope our way back. Not a big deal but there would have been a fair amount of rising anxiety.
Staying together is critical. As we navigated home I was not at all concerned about finding our way, I was very concerned about getting separated, Viking had no compass..if we lost him he'd be on is own.
And a reminder: this is ocean rowing, the fog rolls in, the wind picks up, the swells come marching. We're on our own.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Paulie, the swells were nothing! It was a good day for trying out the Alden Star. But it is VERY important for us rowers to stay together when the fog rolls in, and also to have a decent sense of compass headings back from the most common islands and shore points we visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vikings navigate using sun, moon and stars. They would come out sooner of later. Kidding aside. I have lots of respect for the ocean and the fog. The biggest problem as I see it is that when the fog started to thicken, we became 2 groups. I group of 3 heading towards Salem Harbor and one group of 2 saying we were heading the wrong way. And that's when separations and accidents happen. Stay together no matter what. Follow the majority even if you feel they are going in the "wrong" direction. Stop and talk about it, but never separate. I never felt any anxiety or danger knowing Paul had a GPS.

    I will install my compass this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did stop and talk about it, I asked you to stay together....the two behind were obviously rowing at a slower pace, how were we to follow the majority?
    Staying together requires faster rowers be aware of slower rowers, doesn't work any other way.

    ReplyDelete