Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hello my friend hello....

Halfway Rock has always had a special place in my heart. I can still remember my first row there. Located almost 2 miles off-shore from Children's you were no longer in the safety of Salem Bay. Man...you're out there in the big stuff where any thing can happen. This morning of course was the perfect time to revisit my old friend. We hadn't spoken since last September where I made it my last row of 2010. Today she greeted me with gentle swells and calm winds. The joy of the morning pushed me passed her for almost another mile before I realize that I had to turn back. Make it your goal to visit her at least once this year. Tell her the Captn' says hello!

1 comment:

  1. Jack, I remember my first visit to 1/2WAY. I'm on the shore with Paulie. I'm still somewhat of a beginner. Paulie says, "See that rock way out there?" "Where?" "Just look straight out into the ocean, see it, beyond Children's?" "[GULP!]". Somehow, I made it there and back, holding the oars much tighter than the recommended "light hands/feather touch"!

    I think it was that row that completed hooked me into RnR. To be out there in the ocean, with just our boats, naked, alone --- once you get past 1/2WAY, if you don't look directly behind you, all you see is ocean, no land in sight. And the waves on the far side were bigger than I'd yet rowed in. What a thrill!

    ReplyDelete