Wednesday, July 20, 2011

TAPERING

I'm trying to be good really I am.
Three days now without alcohol or ice cream or bread and NO rowing I feel like I want to climb out of my skin.
Yesterday, going down to the boathouse, it was absolutely beautiful, light breeze, a little haze, warm but not hot, just perfect really.
Must have had a searching look on my face as Tom says, "Can I help you with something, do you need something?"
"NO, just hanging, staying off the water for a few days, I'm tapering."
"You're what?"
"Tapering, you know, giving my body a chance to rest before the race, I've been pushing pretty hard."
"Tapering is for wussies!" he smartly protested.
And there lies my dilemma. Part of me, lets call it the mature adult part, knows that tapering is good, my body needs to rest, let the muscles recover before I ask them to do what I'm about to ask them to do.
The other part, lets call it the young indestructible me part, wants to roll right through this tapering BS, get on the water and row my heart out NOW
OH the challenge of Blackburn, adult or adolescent, I can't believe I'm still trying to resolve this dilemma at 60!!!!
SURE IS FUN THOUGH

1 comment: