Saturday, July 2, 2011

I LIKE MY "EGG"ON THE "ROCK"

Well I knew it was going to happen sometime before the Blackburn Race, my annual pilgrimage to Egg Rock off Little Nahant. Of course lots of things have to be going right to make happen including: ocean and wind conditions as well as my own body. I just got off a long row with Eileen onThursday so today was supposed to be a short row day. 5-6 miles at a good pace. Maybe 8 maybe but that was going to be the max. I started out with the Tinkers Loop which would bring me to my 6. But onced past the point Pig Rock was in my sights. Outgoing tide, flat sea I was averaging closed to 5.5 miles an hour. OK Pig Rock loop will put me just over the 8 mile mark. Then a silly notion got into my brain. Is this the day to do Eggrock? A part of me said yes, another said no. Of course I already knew my answer and now so do you. Is that then end of the story? Well not quite. Once past Tinkers on my way home this little voice crept back into my brain. "You know Eggrock loop is only 17 miles your so close why don't you do the 20?" "What are you crazy?" I replied to myself. Of course the little voice again won out as I crossed outside MHD rock, Childrens and Eagle Island. Finally logic took over when I had the monument off Misery in my sights. I finally turned back towards home. 3.5 hours in the seat and an honest 19 miles. Tomorrow I PROMISE will be the short day



1 comment: