Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Did someone flip a switch?

Went out for a 6:30am row this morning. The weather was just perfect and the water looked fairly calm. The forecast said "Light winds with a slight chop. Small short period wind waves. Winds: NNE 7 to 10 knots, Seas: S 2 feet at 7 sec.

At the dock, the water appeared relatively calm at approx. 1ft swells plus some wind chops caused by the NNE. I figured perfect conditions for taking out the Dolphin and heading towards the ocean. Yet, I was surprised finding myself in the midst of heavy Echo territory once I had passed MHD Rock. The ocean got rougher and the waves crashed over both riggers. The busy traffic from various Lobster boats and the Salem Ferry made me head towards Children's Island and back into the calmer waters of Salem sound.

I enjoyed rowing against the wind towards Beverly Lighthouse. For a few minutes I was accompanied by a seagull flying against the wind and keeping my speed before taking a turn towards a lobster boat. The water became much calmer and I enjoyed the speed of a faster boat. I passed Coney Island, Great Haste and Green Buoy #15 before turning around and heading back.

The current and wind brought me back in what seemed little to no time. It was a great morning row. A good seven miles in 70 minutes. Yet, something felt different compared to recent weeks. The air was cooler, the winds harder and the water rougher. Thomas, the manager at the MHD Trading Co. boat yard, mentioned "it's September 1st and someone must have flipped a switch".

There is no doubt: Fall is on its way. I am planning on making it out as often as possible during the next few weeks of our remaining RnR season.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I missed you. I was on the water at 6:15, waited for a bit but had to be off by 7:30.

    ReplyDelete