Monday, September 21, 2009

So much learned, so much to learn

I’m rowing a demo-day Alden Star along Riverhead Beach. The causeway, together with the full tide, is giving us the closest thing to flat open water around here despite the heavy winds blowing outside. It suddenly strikes me that I’ve been here before…different time, different boat, different conditions, but the flashback is real. Early last summer I had my first taste of sliding seat rowing, my first Rock N’ Row experience, at this very spot. An introduction on an Echo that Lorna and company had brought to a similar event.

That first time out was humbling, but exhilarating. Today is just as exciting; I have balance and speed that last year I couldn’t imagine. The catch, drive and release feel good. Last year I fumbled through the actions, fearing my next mistake would be the one to capsize me. Still, from that experience I was hooked.

I reach the neck and I'm returned to the present moment. I circle around and head back, the photographer’s boat now pulling up to shadow me. I try to ignore them, but some vain part of me wants to be in my best form just in case.

I return to the beach, and before I know it, I’ve found a learning opportunity. What starts as questions about foot stretcher position leads to a coaching session. Yes, at my height, the stretchers should be all the way out. My recovery should be more controlled, my stroke isn’t level, and I’m not extending my hands before the catch. (Only later does the obvious sink in that there is a reach to the mantra reach and pull).

Next up is the Star Double, and this drives the lessons home. If you want to spot your problem areas quickly, try synchronizing your strokes with someone else. Jack, who can “rush the slide” with the best of them, is no match for my body slam forward. Together, we’re a perfect example of quick backwards momentum slowing forward progress. But once we slow down and get in sync, we start to fly through the water. What a great training exercise.

One last row in the Quest and I try to put it all together. I can feel the bits and pieces, but know it will take more time, practice, and some limbering up added to my winter work-out. My mind starts to wander again as I reflect on these two fabulous seasons completed. So much learned, and so much more to master.

3 comments:

  1. As usual well said, and my take away this season is that there is no finish line in learing this sport. This I have difficult accepting, but it's sinking in slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I get it: rowing "in-the-zone" is a sliding scale that moves with us on our (endless??) learning journey. My grateful thanks to all the "oldies" out there who helped me move a bit up my scale on my first season out(Terry, Jack, John, Maryellen are among the remembered ones; I'm sure there were others). And to the "newbies" (Pal, Eileen, Kate, Andrew, Julie, Art, Sheila, Stan, etc.) who answered my numerous pleas for a partner and hung in there with me on this learning quest. With that in mind, any advice on what I can do during the "off season" to make sure I take up where I left off on my scale?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to do some work on the erg machine (you know it--rowing machine at many health clubs) and core work is always good--Pillates, yoga, etc. Last year Terri Leake got a nice rower's exercise class going. We'll see if it can happen again. Stay tuned....

    ReplyDelete