Monday, September 28, 2009

Sometimes Good Intentions...

On Sunday morning not too many hours after swigging my last gulp of Pirate Punch at the infamous R & R party, I left for Putney, VT to row in the Head of the Green Mountain Regatta. I was entered in a double with a friend who is a hard nosed competitor. The weather was wet and the field where we parked steeped in mud. Still, seeing 267 shells in one place was impressive and even in mist and drizzle, Vermont in the fall is strikingly beautiful. Our "class" crossed a few age divisions and as older rowers, winning wasn't likely. However, what chance we had blew up when we pulled around a buoy at the half way point and my partner's oar popped out of his hi-tech Magilock oarlock. The seconds ticked by as he rushed to put it back in. When we got underway again, we were 30 seconds down--too far back to make a move in such tough competition. Instead we got into a good drag race with the crew that had caught up to us. We maintained a 27 to 28 spm rate. The words of my college crew coach entered my head that last mile as the lactose built up; "Are you willing to pay the price?" Well, I did feel like I paid it at the end and rode home listening to the Patriots thinking about how I could row better next time. But win, lose or draw, racing has inimitable pleasure. I'm glad to hear there are a few R and R rowers thinking of entering the Head of the Charles rec division.

2 comments:

  1. Either way, you're a winner in our book

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if you would like me to beat up your rowing partner. Got to have the gear in order!

    ReplyDelete