Friday, September 4, 2009

Zen and the Art of Shell Racing

I like being able to go fast in a shell, but the operative words are “being able,” which, like e-liz, is not always why I row. I love the unmistakable pleasure of harmony in and with the sea, which is endlessly intriguing. If I’m looking at my heart rate monitor and focusing on how much harder I can push myself, that doesn’t happen. So for me there are definitely days when rowing pleasure is only about being at ease so I can soak up every iota of my environment. But even on those days, if I row less well than I can, I feel like I’m falling short and disrespecting the process. Then on days when I feel like maximizing speed and glide, rowing well while rowing hard makes an obvious difference. But in either case, I can’t disconnect the Zen of rowing from harmony with the shell anymore than the sea. One can always improve, always come closer to the perfect stroke. It’s that quest for mastery that is the most fun for me, which I’ll never achieve but will never stop trying. I’ve been trying to take ten perfect strokes since the eighth grade -- really perfect strokes in perfect balance and proportion. I think I did three once. In the meantime, I keep trying little things every time I row to improve a little. I think getting better is nothing more than that, plus some instruction from time to time. Currently, I need a rowing lesson because I’ve been working on quickening my hands out of the finish and it’s made my catch a little harder than I like. It’s pretty subtle but I’m eager to figure out how to make it better. I'm watching videos, reading some and hoping to get an expert "eye" to watch me for a while. To the Viking I say we can probably help each other on technique, and should: To go faster but also to get into the Zone --the Twilight Zone, where mastery really lurks.

2 comments:

  1. I do love a spirited conversation among our members. It's a great example of the RnR Spirit that resides with in us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great write up. I don't know if I can help you improving your rowing, but I do believe you can help me.

    ReplyDelete