Saturday, August 8, 2009

Around House Island makes for a 10 mile row!

It was a great afternoon with light breeze. I decided to go towards Misery Island, which makes for a tough row due to all the unorganized waves caused by the weekend boat traffic. Sometimes I was just tossed around like a cork with waves crashing in from all directions, barely making headway. (I think that going to Tinkers and beyond is a better choice on a day like today)

Passed Great Misery and kept on going to the next Island which is called House Island. There is a fairly narrow passage between House and Ram Island that I took. It’s very interesting meeting 30 foots powerboats in half plane there. Those guys must think that if you have gotten this far you must be good, because they do not yield. They stay in their half plane passing barely 20 yards away from me, tossing up a pretty good wave.

From there I headed towards Chubb Island where the water was smooth with only 1-1 1/2 foot waves. Picked up speed and followed West Beach to Plum Cove where I headed towards the “boat house” (Not as nice as the one Thomas has in Europe, but it works). As soon as I left Beverly Farms shores, the ocean became unorganized again. The good old feeling of being in a washing machine again.

Now, I don’t know what this zone thing feels like, but I think I came pretty close after the row. First a big steak and then to the Coffey Ice Cream where I ordered an extra, extra large twist soft serve. I run a tab there for the summer,……every summer. And my kids just love me to death. It's a beautiful thing.

HAPPY ROWING INTO THE ZONE AND BEYOND

1 comment:

  1. Even Chubb Rock. My you do have it bad. Congrats on a great row

    ReplyDelete