Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sunday Row 8-30-09




The hearty souls in this photo (Paul, Carmi, Stephanie, Sara, Eileen, Thomas and Jay) took off at a good clip to Misery this morning, arrriving to plain muffins and water for breakfast, provided by Jay in the best tradition of Marblehead seamen. Spirits ran much higher than the seas as onditions were good over and back and the clouds helped to keep boat traffic to a minimum. Thomas took the long route-- ten miles -- by rounding Misery twice while the rest of us rowed closer to eight. Sara and Eileen did beautifully, clearly defying the titles of Newbees or even novices. There were rumblings about putting a Rock N Row racing team together for one of the Northeast's head races (Housatonic, Green Mountain or Charles, for examples). We figured Jack needs a new clothing design project and the Viking can build a trophy case when he gets his heart rate below 150. In the meantime, all the superlatives about the joys of rowing around our blessed islands held true today. We all returned safe and sound and with that mysterious exhiliration that comes from being at one with the ocean.

3 comments:

  1. I take it that I was not missed? (:

    No problems, I don't need any rowing partners. I am a loner anyway. I kind of like it that way. I played badminton in stead. So there.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great row. Obviously, I will not be missed when The Viking and I start our own club......

    ReplyDelete