Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Blackburn challenges

When the weather seemed to clear monday afternoon, I set out to attempt a 15 miler. I headed toward Marblehead Rock and found the water stirring and choppy from all directions. I knew I wasn't heading around the neck to Swampscott and Nahant, as intended. I turned back and headed around Peach's Point for my first row ever in Salem Harbor. Flat water and an Osprey family greeted my row down and around and back. I never made it 15. Only accomplished 11.3
when I was tired and ready to land on Gas House beach. I've accomplished several 10's and a 13, but I'm beginning to wonder if my body's going to be ready to do 21 miles on July 18.

I signed up for the Blackburn Challenge with the intention of using it as the BIG stretch and incentive to continue to release the weight I put on during 2 moves and big transitions in my life. To-date I'm on track, releasing 25 pounds and almost all the health related issues I had taken on with it. I love salt water rowing solo -- but I won't risk it when conditions of fog and chop and swells say "play it safe" to m.e. Too many of those days in June for sure!

I've known I am a fair-weather Blackburn Challenge goer. Beyond, my personal goals, I'm really in it to finish and have fun! I think I'll continue to live by Lennon's motto "Life is what you do while you're making other plans" & for all my best intentions -- see what my body and mother nature brings forward for me on Blackburn Challenge day!

They say the weather will improve...let's hold many beautiful days to come .... soon!

2 comments:

  1. You still have plenty of time to "rachet" up the distance. Just keep at it. Row at least 4 days a week and keep pushing the 10+ mile mark at least once a week.
    Need to start thinking about nutrition for race day. Dehydration and cramps are more the enemy than the distance

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was an issue yesterday ... not enough nutrition in my body and I needed more h20 before and during the row. i'm on it... also concerned about knowing the BC course ... are we on for the longer distance Sat. July 4?

    ReplyDelete