Friday, June 19, 2009

Bought an Echo and registered for Blackburn Challenge








After having reviewed the used boat market on Row2K, Ebay and Craigslist during the last few weeks and almost buying a used one, I finally decided to buy a new Echo from Echo Rowing in Eliot, ME. Initially, the plan was to meet Lorna Martin Perry yesterday morning to row with her for a bit before picking up the boat an returning back home. The supposedly brief affair of "buying a product" turned into an incredible experience and full day spent with two wonderful people, Lorna and her brother Doug Martin.

The morning started with a "test row" of the Ace, a boat that has fascinated me, since I first saw it it on the internet last year. The Ace is a rowing shell that requires the rower's full concentration and focus on technique. Yet, an intriguing boart design that lets one experience the elemtents in a new way. A simple mistake could easily end up with tipping over and taking a plunge in the cold water. Luckily, we started out in pristine flat water rowing condition on Chauncey Creek. Lorna guided me in her Echo towards the open waters of Kittery Point Harbor/Bay, where we rowed to Wood Island, where the bay meets the open sea. Within a couple of hundred feet the rather calm water turned into a boiling mix of waves and currents. Something neither Lorna nor I expected. Within seconds my heart started pounding - not from exhaustion but the adrenalin caused by fear of taking a plunge. Waves were just pounding over me and soaking me up. My strokes became shorter and shorter to keep the boat in balance, and at times it felt even like surfing. Yet, the Ace left a wonderful impression "slicing" through the water. Lorna quickly recognized that the conditions might not be best for a first in the Ace. We turned around and rowed back to the boat house on the calm waters of Chauncey Creek. It was an exciting 5.6 mile "test row" I will never forget, and increased my desire to get back on an Ace.

At the boat house we were greeted by Doug Martin, Lorna's brother and designer of (at least) the Echo, Ace and Alden Star. The following hours were filled with interesting conversations, historical information, tech-talk about recreational rowing and Echo Rowing, and the product developments of Echo, Ace, Alden Star, including several iterations of scull blade design. I consider Doug a brilliant inventor, sculptor/artist and scientist, who has influenced many aspects of modern rowing, and gave me a wonderful introduction to the basics of aerodynamics (and water dynamcis) and mechanics of boat design.

After lunch we drove to the Echo Rowing facilities in Eliot, where I received a tour of the design and production process. The newly gained information made me an even prouder owner of a beautiful new orange Echo than I could ever have imagined. During my drive back to Marblehead/Swampscott I was thinking of only a few other products that have ignited similarly a fire of emotional connectedness between a product and me. Products and brands like my Apple Macbook Pro, iPhone and Breitling Chronograph come to mind.

Yesterday's experience demonstrated to me what a wonderful experience purchasing a product can be. Especially when the product meets or even exceeds the buyers needs and wants.

Thank you Lorna and Doug, and Ted for sharing all the knowledge and passion, and making your wonderful rowing shells.

Also, thank you Paul for coming down to the boat house, and helping me unload my Echo and our newest club boat, the "Alden Martin", which received some expert treatment up at Echo Rowing. It looks like new and is ready to row.

Last but not least, I registered for the Blackburn Challenge earlier this evening. Now, I am joining Maryellen and Jack in "having Blackburn on my mind".

Looking forward to seeing you all on the water.

4 comments:

  1. That is so great Thomas. You are going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new Echo Thomas! I sure share your enthusiasm for the Echo and for the unparalleled performance and stability on the ocean -- in flat or rough conditions. It's pure joy for my body, mind and spirit and I can't wait for the wind and seas to calm enough to be BACK ON THE WATER!

    ReplyDelete