Monday, June 29, 2009

Going Food Shopping

Or at least that's what I was going to do when the phone rang around 5 PM. 10 minutes later Captain Jack and I were in the Echos for a short row "around the block". We were heading towards Tinkers, but after Marblehead Rock, the sea was rough, coming from all directions, making it a difficult row. The Captain changed direction and we headed towards Children Island. But before that we had to go around a green buoy. (For those of you that have not rowed with the Captain should be aware that he has to go around something. I am not sure what happens if he cannot do that, but I feel that there isn't a shrink good enough to get him back to normal) From Children to Eagle, the sea was getting smoother and more organized. From there to Coney Ledge and back to base camp in nice and smooth sea.

This short trip lasted 1 1/2 hour and we put about 7.5 miles of salt water behind us. Now, that's my longest row so far and it felt good. OK, I know it's no big deal for you Iron women or you Black Burn rowers, but for me it's a big milestone and a step forward. Let me see if I can put it in a different perspective. Let me put you all on a 38 year one pack a day smoking program with little to no sports, and then go out sculling.

Anyway, it has sometimes been a struggle to get here, but with time on the water I am starting to see the joy in puling on two sticks so I can go nowhere fast.....I believe I have actually touched the Zone and I want more. So I am going to stick around because I want to row "INTO THE ZONE AND BEYOND".

Jon

3 comments:

  1. Well stated Viking. You've come along way since your first row. Not sure why I must go around things. Perhaps it's my need for completion that drives me.
    10 miler this weekend. Want to join me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack, no great mystery to going around things, its "checking things off your list" on the water.
    Viking...I admire your commitment, putting yourself in a rowing shell when you want to eat twinkies is a powerful declaration, you're in the zone....,
    As for me, I can't begin to tell you how much inspiration I receive in the shell, being in balance, pulling smooth and powerfully, extending with each stroke, overextend and the pain starts, row from the heart with a quiet mind, and on and on. its like being in the shell and moving my body in rhythm opens a gate to ???? I don't know, but I like it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your posts, Viking! entertaining + inspiring, they put a smile on my face. welcome to the zone!

    ReplyDelete