Friday, July 10, 2009

15.5 miler around Egg Rock I rowed!

I've been holding out for a morning such as this. Finally -- clear skies and calm waters cooperated with my intention to get in a 15 miler as training for my attempt to complete the big Blackburn Challenge.

I was on the water at 6:05 with my 100 oz. camelback filled with Ultima Replenisher bungee'd on the back. Now was the time to see if the ol' bod' I've been bringing back into fitness was up to the test.

Well, RockNRowers, I'm blogging to say YES!

I hugged the coast around the Neck, past Devereau Beach & the Swampscott shores to round Egg Rock. I'd clocked about 8 miles after rounding Egg Rock so I rowed the more direct line back to the Neck. Off Devereau my right calf cramped and I thought "this is interesting" -- breathed, relaxed, drank, breathed some more. Then I watched the calf muscle relax and headed home free and very happy that I had achieved the 15.5 mile milestone.


Last Sunday I'd given up the idea of the Blackburn this year what with the lousy weather and limited on-the-water training time. Now after today's row and tomorrow's tour of the course -- thanks to Captain Jack -- I'll most definitely attempt it - weather and calm enough ocean conditions permitting! Maryellen

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Are you planning to eat during the row?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't eat today ... what do you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like GU packets, I buy at M'head Cycles, quick and easy, don't upset my tummy
    each of us use different foods but its a good idea to fuel each hour helps prevent cramping

    ReplyDelete