Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Lessons in the FOG

Thomas' story is stimulating good discussion about safety at sea. (Art, you must be happy!)
Carrying a VHF radio is an appropriate safety strategy, (I have a West Marine submersible). Thomas did everything right. He didn't try to navigate home, he didn't panic, he was aware of his location and heading so he knew how to adjust once he lost visibility. Thankfully he had a compass, without a compass the outcome might have been different.
Navigating in fog can be terrifying. Fog is disorienting, everything sounds different. Fortunately fog usually brings little wind.
I remember my first time lost in the fog on a sailing trip to Maine. Kathie and I on our 28, no electronics, before GPS, beautiful day, within minutes the fog rolled in and I could barely see the bow of the boat. I felt like I was being strangled. Fortunately we found another boat nearby with radar and together we navigated 12 hours into Portland harbor. We were never in danger but sure were freaked out!
As salt water rowers we have to be "sea smart". Art tried to drill that into us at the Power Squadron evening this spring.
The ocean around Marblehead is our playground and a spectacular playground it is! She demands respect and honoring, a prayer to Neptune isn't a bad idea either.
That said, I'm off to the clubhouse, maybe go for a row in the FOGGGG!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment