Wednesday, July 8, 2009

ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER "SLOG OF A " ROW

Hi, Ho Hi, Ho it's off to row I go. Woke this morning around 5:30 with a burning desire to get on the water and push myself for a great BB training row. It looked ok outside but little did I know what awaited me when I got to the dock at Anchorage Lane. What this? Another day, another slog of a row? Wind must have been coming mostly from ENE which is perfect conditions to create monster breakers (definition: rollers that crest and break on top of you) traveling into the bay. Not sure why waves come in different sets, but today's row clearly played out that senario. So I slogged my way as far up wind as I dared go which was just about passed the Mhd Harbor around some green can shy of Mhd Rock. Yes, I must go around things when I row. Some type of A.D.D. thing. Turned towards Childrens with the hope and prayer that some of it's easterly lee would provide me with shelter. Ha! who was I fooln'. Starboard Beam sea, slipping in and out of those troughs and breakers. OK, Eagle's Bar has got to be better. It was...but not by much. Wait whats that I see ahead of me? It's the monument off Misery (picture doesn't do the seas justice). Something to go around before heading back to shelter. You would think that I would have found calmer water as I entered more into the bay but the ENE wind fetch seems to carry all the way in. Made it back to home dock through Coney and Great Haste. 1.5 hours, 7.5 miles and soaked to the skin. Not my best time, but as far as survival rowing goes, I have survived to row another day. Blessings...

2 comments:

  1. You're an inspiration Jack. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am back from my vacation and I am ready for some survival rowing again.

    ReplyDelete