Monday, July 13, 2009

Friday 7/9 row

First, I want to thank Dee Johnson and Art Capstaf for being such good Rock n Row buddies! They had agreed to row with me; life interfened (Dee had to gt to work; Art's wife was ill); but both showed up on the dock at 8 AM to make sure I got off on the water even if they couldn't row with me. What great rowing buddies to hav!

Fortunately, Stephanie B had agreed to row and was there when I arrived. We had perfect weather - 70 degrees, blue skies - and perfect water - just past low tide, falt water, the incoming tide came up just as we turned back to help push us home. We went out past M-head Rock; then past Children's, where there were some tricky currents flowing around the island; then past Eagler; and back hoem. The back-side of Children's was picture perfect, we could see the kids' ferry pulling in for summer camp and the islad was just awash in summer sunlight. As we approached Brown's, there was a large flock of seagulls working the water, it looked like there was a school of baitfish swimming by. I was just a little concerned that the birds would fertilize my boat.

Speaking of boats, I roewed the Alden Star, which is a perfect balance between stability (almost as good as the EChos) but much faster than the Echos. Lots of fun in flat water, but make sure to take a bale if you go out on a more typical day, as it has no self-baler.

No comments:

Post a Comment