Monday, July 13, 2009

No Fog - this time.



After not having been out rowing in six days due to a summer cold/flu, I felt like trying again this morning. My body was not 100% in shape yet, but I wanted to be back on the water. Arriving at the boat house I saw that Paul had rowed already this morning around MHD Rock and Children's Island. The weather looked great and my plan was to row around Tinkers, Children's and back home getting a good hour of low-key exercise into my schedule.

Light winds with a slight chop and small short period wind waves greeted me when I was heading past MHD Rock and Tinker. According to the marine forecast, the winds were WNW 9 to 12 knots and seas ESE 2 feet at 8 sec. Since I had not rowed in almost a week, I focused on using as little power as possible in order to keep my heart rate around 130. Everything felt great and once I passed Tinkers I felt drawn to something in the distance. I was reminded that Egg Rock was still waiting for me and felt compelled, almost drawn by a magnet to row towards it. Not 100% sure if this would be a good idea I kept on rowing until I passed Ram Islet. I felt OK while the "Rock" seemed to be pulling me closer and closer (must have been some psychological effect left over from my last experience).

My heart rate was still in the 130 zone until I passed Galoupe's Point and Dread Ledge, when I got caught by a strengthening WNW wind blowing from Lynn. I quickly learned how the mix of rolling seas and wind waves from opposing directions can pull the boat into directions I had not planned for. At this point, I had to work harder to keep my course on Egg Rock and had to abandon my idea of a "low power" row. Eventually, I reached Egg Rock, took a picture and went around the western side of it. Even though it seems to be a simple rock (as Paul and Jack stated it in their previous blog entries), Egg Rock holds my respect. The waves came from both sides, west and east, and they felt colliding wherever I was. Water kept entering my Echo from the side - what a new experience.

It took me another 30 minutes to get passed that open WNW wind into the somewhat protected coast line. Passing Ram Islet on my way home I was finally able to bring my heart rate back down. I passed Tinkers and MHD Rock, when I saw groups of kids racing their little sailboats from Children's Island towards Marblehead Harbor. It was a great morning to be back on the water. Back at the boat house, I realized what a long row it was. More than I initally wanted to do today. I can only blame the "spirit" of Egg Rock. Yet, it feels like an accomplishment and I can also say, "Blackburn here I come".

Lessons learned today: Start slowly, since I never know what lies ahead of me (or where the spirits might take me). Bring plenty of water/liquids (which I did not). Not sure yet about what to do with food - I did not feel like eating anything for three hours (don't know if this is good or bad). I have to keep in mind that I am in it for the experience not the race. It might take much longer than I anticipate.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on a great row. In my mind I have come to vision Egg Rock as the RnR "holy grail" of rowing routes. It's pleasing to know just how many have conquered her this season especially with the winds and seas presented to us. What a great last row before the Challenge this Saturday

    ReplyDelete