Saturday, July 4, 2009

EGG ROCK CONQUERED

Well it wasn't a foggy day as with Thomas' row, But it wasn't without it's challenges either. Dare I say, this morning's BB training row was one of the hardest I ever encountered. Off shore westerly breeze freshening as the morning progressed accompanied by on shore rollers of the major kind. Based on my 25o heading, I pretty much slogged it out most of the way this massive piece of rock located just of large Nahant.
Coming round Egg to the east, I was met with white caps and breaking seas. Trying as I might to return by the reverse course I was unable to prevent the boat from "sluicing down the back side of these breakers. Echo is about the best boat you could hope for in these conditions, but even so, I felt I entered the realm of survival rowing when the waves were rolling off your quarterstern. (Ask Jon about our survival rows, he can paint a better picture than I). My only course of action was to cross the Nahant/Lynn bay in a beam sea and head to the lee behind Galloupes Pt. Alls well that ends well. While my over all time was extremely slow (averaging 13.5 minute/miles), I'm please to have comepleted the journey (15.33 miles over all) and have put Egg Rock behind me for the summer

No comments:

Post a Comment