Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Tale of Two Rowers...

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times; it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness… surely Charles Dickens was writing about the tale of two rowers.

The best of times was sitting aft my husband while he patiently played along as I called out Pilate breathing sets; rowing into the harbor’s final stretch; hearing the sweet sound of Roberto’s voice cheering us on; arriving beach side to find our wonderful Rn’R flag stationed at attention in wait for all its team to arrive safely on dry land; seeing the warm smiles and feeling the warm hugs from our die hard supports --Kathy, Debbie and family and friends; and mostly, feeling that wonderful sense of great pride and honor to have shared this experience with a team of people who are totally awesome!

OK, so the worst of times weren’t nearly as bad as I thought they might be. We didn’t get lost in the fog. And the blisters on my hands are already healing, and I didn’t see even one shark!

The Blackburn lived up to its reputation – it was a challenge. If Dickens had been talking about the Blackburn, he may have also written: “…it was the moment to suck it up; it was the moment to rock it out; it was the moment to Row Baby Row!”

Congratulations to a fabulous team!

Carmi

1 comment:

  1. Coming around breakwater, hearing "Rock n Row" at 110 db gave me the jolt I needed to crank the last two miles. Surprised to find I still had mojo after 3+ hours, 5000 strokes. Crossing the finish, drifting to the beach, all those hugs and surprises, wow.....

    PS I saw a shark, looked a lot like Slocum!

    ReplyDelete