Monday, July 6, 2009

Sunday Row

I love the activity on the docks on Sunday morning and yesterday, does it get any more beautiful in Marblehead? Thomas, Stephanie, Emily, myself and Brian set out planning to round the neck, head towards Tinkers and cruise over to Deveraux hoping for a little sheltered water. Steph was rowing our new Maas Aero, it took her a bit to figure it out but once she hit her stride she was cruising. Emily had Alden 6 with a coffee cup for a bailer, at 15kts of breeze she ships a fair amount of water. Brian is training for Blackburn intending to row the Apollo on loan to the club. He's been granted guest status to get ready for the race. Thomas and I were in our trusty Echos ready for anything but still fatigued from Saturday's endurance row.
Rounding the neck we stretched out into a brisk headwind and light chop. Approaching Tinkers the chop kicked up dramatically and we decided to alter coarse and head for Children's downwind. Riding the chop with the wind behind us was so much more pleasant but the inevitable upwind return was never far from my mind. Into the cove for a rest and regroup we decided to take the short route home knowing that as soon as we nosed out from behind the lee of the island it was going to be a hard row.
As I was settling into a rythm I watched Brian rise up on the port side of his boat and struggle to balance the boat. He was going swimming so around I came to help. Initially he seemed OK, I couldn't see that he was struggling to keep his head above water because he couldn't free his feet from the shoes. Problem #1.
Fortunately he worked his feet out and moved on to the next challenge of getting back in the boat. His experience seemed much like Viking's earlier in the season, pull his body up, try to sit up, over again. He must have flipped 3 or 4 times when Coach Emily instructed him in the art of stabilizing the boat using the oars.
I'm eyeballing a rocky beach at the west end of the island wondering if I should suggest he swim the boat to land.
We finally got him back in the boat by pulling along side and pulling down on his rigger to stabilize the boat. he was able to climb back in and collect himself.
Now he had to get the boat home. The bracing strut had let go and the rigger was loose causing him to flip. The wind was ripping and the chop, well you know. It was a long slog back, Emily stayed with him. Thomas, Steph and I went ahead, I was concerned about whether he'd make it. Fortunately I had a radio with me, if we needed help who was I going to hail? I decided Marblehead harbormaster was the choice and waited.
We didn't need a rescue, Brian made it back under his own power. Thankfully.
Back at the docks we revelled in the excitement of another terrific Rock n Row experience!
Oh and Brian....YOU'VE BEEN INITIATED!

No comments:

Post a Comment